From concept through detail to in-service support… our Engineering and Design organization has experience encompassing all levels of design in new construction and overhaul/repair environments.
Our expertise spans engineering and design for:
- Hull, Structure, Outfitting, and Naval Architecture
- Electrical Systems (power and lighting)
- Combat and Communications Systems (networks, comms, and C4ISR)
- HVAC and Piping (fuels, air, water, hydraulics, and hotel services)
- Mechanical Systems (auxiliaries, elevators, conveyors, deck machinery and propulsion)
- Engineering and design encompasses naval, as well as, commercial ships, crafts and boats of all types
Additionally, our Designers and Engineers have access to our company’s extensive network of experienced shipboard operators and maintainers. The capability of these combined resources allows the Engineering and Design Services group to provide a wide variety of technical support services and products that offer innovative solutions to complex, challenging problems.
Design Tools and Processes
- Design tools include AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, SolidWorks, Inventor, an internally developed productivity enhancing add-on called ShipWorks, ShipConstructor, and a large suite of technical applications software providing the latest resources for engineering of structure, hydrodynamics, mechanical and electrical systems as well as for supporting program management.
- Our reference library includes web-based access to all essential military and commercial specifications.
- Our design process includes interaction with system operators and maintainers to improve the post installation reliability and maintainability of our designs.
- We utilize assets located at all major ports to perform ship checks and crew interface with minimal travel time and expense.
Technical Solutions provides support to the Navy’s In Service Engineering commands operating within the Naval Sea Systems Command, Naval Space and Warfare Command, and Naval Air Systems Command. Our managers, engineers, and technicians understand the vital role these commands play in providing life cycle engineering and management support to the operating fleet and to the acquisition agencies in Washington, DC. Our strategic locations in major Navy ports allow for continued assessment of current shipboard problems and needs. Our In-Service Engineering customers rely on this proximity to the operating fleet and routinely call on us to assist their efforts to solve the problems and meet these needs.
Drawing on extensive engineering and design expertise, Technical Solutions has leveraged our fundamental marine engineering capabilities to launch an expanded business base that provides engineering services for commercial facilities and infrastructure. Our work has encompassed inspections and condition assessments, study reports, and engineering and design for building and equipment changes. Our expertise includes the structural design of buildings, mechanical (HVAC and piping) and electrical systems, material handling equipment, and pier, wharf and dock arrangements.
Technical Solutions engineers maintain Professional Engineering licensure in many states throughout the US.
We have also drawn upon our marine expertise to branch out into complex security system design. Our engineers and designers have experience with surveillance cameras, public address systems, sensors, and perimeter protection systems at facilities such as public transportation terminals. We have applied these services to roadways, bridges, airports, marine terminals, railroads, and public transportation terminals. Customers have included major state and local port and transportation authorities in the US.